Hebrews 6:10 "For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister."
I know that we are facing difficult times in this nation. The Covid-19 pandemic will have an enormous impact on the world when it is all said and done. Jobs are being lost at an enormous rate and the stock market is taking a hit daily. Many lives have been lost and more will die during this pandemic. The medical field and first responders are being worked to exhaustion.
As a result of all of this, God’s people will feel the effects as well. We are not exempt from the struggles of this life. With the lost of jobs and the death of faithful saints, the church is in a different dynamic during these times. Live Streaming messages are now a reality for most churches. Low offerings are a reality for our churches today. In these times Pastor’s are having to become creative to minister to the people of our congregations.
Much is being done to show support for our first responders and medical staffs. Free meals, and many other perks are being provided. But what perks are being provided for Pastor’s and the People of God. Well according to God’s word we have something more valuable that food. Job 23:12 tells us “Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food”. With that in mind, I would like to spend a few moments looking at Hebrews 6:10 so that we can Stay Encouraged. We have 2 reasons to stay encouraged according to this passage:
1. Stay Encouraged because of God’s Memory
"God is not unrighteous to forget your work."
While those first responders and medical professionals are receiving encouragement from the world, there is no encouragement from the world for our Christian service. But God reminds us that when things are getting difficult, and you still press on for God, He will not forget your faithfulness. Praise God for his good memory. Everything you do for the Lord will be remembered and you will receive compensation in due time. The only thing I can find in scripture that God forgets is the believers sin (Isa. 43:25). Praise God for that! Your compensation may not come until eternity, but it will come. God will not forget. He is not like the chief butler that forgot Joseph. Stay encouraged because of God’s Memory.
2. Stay Encouraged because of your Ministry
" Work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.."
The ministry or service that God will remember involves 4 things:
• It involves the Lord. "Shewed toward his name." While there are many good works that can be done, the works that God are referring to here specifically involve His name. You can serve your community and not be serving the Lord. You can serve your family and not be serving the Lord. God is referring specifically to service for the Lord.
• It involves labor. "Work and labor" God’s work is just that, work and labor. Many people will not put forth much effort in the Lord’s work. However, being in the Lord’s Army, you must do more than just enough to get by. This period in our lives will require more of our time and talent, not less.
• It involves love. "Love." In the ministry, the motivation must be love. God is looking for people who will serve him simply because of the love they have for the Lord. If your motivation to serve the Lord is simply to impress people or you serve because you are forced to do so, you will not qualify for God’s promises in this text.
• It involved length. "Ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister." Are you willing to be in this situation for the long hall? God honors and requires faithfulness. The minister’s in Heb. 6:10 were discouraged and yet they were still ministering. Preacher, Sunday School teacher, faithful church member. Now is not the time to quit. If you do, you will be disqualified from the promise of this passage. When things are most difficult, this is the time for you to be faithful to the Lord. God will not forget this type of service.
Let me leave you with this familiar bible passage:
1 Corinthians 15:58 "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."
Dr. Anthony Carter